It's very rewarding growing spuds.
Traditionally they are growing in ground and you have to keep piling the soil up to cover the spuds to stop them going green. You also had to wait until the plant had fully died back before you could harvest any.
Some bright spark came up with this clever idea which allows you to grow spuds in small spaces and access the potatoes through the side flap without having to remove the whole plant. Brilliant!
- On the large bag due to its width we noticed it was a little hard to reach in to get the potatoes on the far side via the flap, so we added another flap on the other side. Easy now.
- The earlier version had a beige biodegradeable liner which looked nice but didn't really serve any purpose and looked a bit rough as it broke down in sunlight. We have removed it and instead made the Geotech felt thicker. Geotech felt is designed to last for many years outdoors.
Note: There is colour variation between the large and small bag in this batch. Both Orange, but the large one is more vibrant than the smaller. Over time they will fade a bit to be similar.
How to Grow Spuds
1. Fill soil level to 1/3rd of bag only
2. Plant seed potatoes (see below) or ones from your cupboard that have started shooting
3. Water and wait till the plants leaves reach the top of the bag. Then (strange as it feels) pour soil into the bag filling it to 5cm from the top so only the top couple of leaves are still showing and water
4. The leaves will continue to grow above that level, but more importantly the spuds will grow in the soil underneath and you can access them through the side flap. Easy!
As with all Aussie Gardener Products, we have designed this to last really well.
- The Felt fabric and stitching is all UV stable and designed for outdoor use.
- Double Stitching along all seams ensure these are built tough
- Velcro style flap for easy access
-Water freely drains through geotech felt without any soil leaking out. (Good for balconies)
-Strong Handles so if you need to move them you can. Spuds like sunlight.
- We promise you wont be disappointed with the quality. These are beautifully made to last.
Frequently Asked Questions about these bags
This one would be perfect
Large bag plant 3-4 max
They supply potato farmers so you know they are going to be top quality stock. One of the tricks they use is to keep them stored in a very advanced cool store so that their seed potatoes can be available nearly all year. (usually you can only get them in Sept-Oct)
Agronico Seed Potatoes for home gardeners