You may have seen fruit salad trees for sale, where there is multiple different types of fruit growing on a single tree. This is done by a process called grafting.
Generally it is bit more of an advanced technique and required a skilled hand with a budding knife often resulting in many cuts to your hands trying to perfect the joins.
At Aussie Gardener we are all about making gardening easier and this tool does just that. It cuts the branch into a wedge type shape ready for you to add another piece to it from a different fruit. You then wrap it with Grafting Tape, to hold it together and stop it drying out. Leave it on for a few months to ensure the join has fully healed over
An important note, you can't just join any old plants together. They need to be compatible and that means referring to the genus.
So for example
Lemons, oranges, mandarins, limes, lemonades are all in the citrus genus so will usually be happy when grafting together.
Pears inc different types like Nashi and regular green or brown are all part o fthe Pyrus family so can be joined.
Apples, cherries, plums, peaches, nectarines are Prunus family
Grafting isn't just for fruit trees. It can be done on lots of other plants. Why not have a rose that flowers two different colours!
It's a fun hobby to have a go at. Collect pieces of branch from your friends and neighbours and have a go at adding them to your tree.
Sometimes they will fail so dont be too alarmed if you get a few duds. Keep trying and perfecting and you will take your greenthumbing to a whole new level.
Keep your Ezi Grafter tool clean by dipping in metho between plants so that you don't spread disease.
Remember to get grafting tape if you dont already have some.
- Made from #65 stainless steel shear blades,high-strength ABS plastic, SK5 double-edged cutting blades.
- 3 replaceable grafting cutting blades(Ω-Cut U-Cut V-Cut) for precise and clean cut.
- Pruning blade (3mm thick) is ideal for cutting leaves, twigs and stems without changing the tool.
- Able to cut grafting plants' twig in 5mm~13mm diameter.
- The cuts of two woods will fit together perfectly for maximum cambium contact, significantly improving the survival rate.
- Grafting pruner x 1
- V-shape replaceable blade x 1
- Ω-shape replaceable blade x 1
- U-shape replaceable blade x 1
- Spanner x 1
- Screwdriver x 1
- Storage organizer x 1